Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Italy, India, or Bali?

With Eat, Pray, Love about to his theaters, promotions are every where! For instance, the-adorable-store-I-wish-we'd-registered-at World Market is currently holding a sweepstakes to win a trip to one of the three countries she travels to in the book: Italy, India, or Bali. What an amazing way to score a free honeymoon.

But: where would you go?

I can come up with pretty convincing arguments for all three of these countries. Let's take a stroll through each, shall we?

Italy:

Of the three countries, Italy is by far the most accessible. It's also, quite possibly, the most expensive. So while you might travel there on your own at some point (because it's somewhat close), it'll put a bigger dent in your wallet.

Photo by Paolo Margari

What I love: there are medieval towns to explore, beautiful accents flying all around you, amazing cibo ("food," in Italian), and a general attitude about life that makes you want to move here. Everything is quite sensual.

Photo by Gari.Baldi

The wine and the seaside ain't half bad, either.

Photo by Ferdi's World

India:

I've never been here so I can't speak from experience. But, I can tell you that this was my hubby's choice of the three countries. This is a place I'd love to adventure around for many reasons: how exotic it is, the grit, my fond memories of A Little Princess, because it might be depressing but it will be eye-opening and make me feel something, yoga's birth place, Bollywood and so much more.

Photo by Frisko Dude

Image by Rahuld Lucca

Where else would you see such bright, vivid colors and ornate buildings?

Image by Sir Watkyn

Bali:

Based on no real life experience in this region, I'd pick Bali. I love the beach, the sand, the spirituality associated with this place. I also think this is somewhere that I think of as so exotic, I can't see planning a vacation here on my own. At least, not right now. So, letting someone do that for me sounds glorious.

Photo by Michael Dawes

Photo by Druida Bruxux

Photo by Heidi & Matt

So, where would you go? Italy, India, or Bali? And why? Would you and your significant other agree on where to go?

8 comments:

  1. Italy would be amazing! I went once on a high school leadership trip- but know I would appreciate it more with my hubby to be and could actually indulge in some wine on that trip!
    I'm sure my fiance would say either Italy or Bali! Just from those photos and the water looks gorgeous- we're complete beach/water bums!

    And can you actually register at World Market?!? Love love love that store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bali, If I could be heavily sedated for the long flight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bali - hands down - it has been my dream place to go, right behind Scotland, for as long as I can remember

    ReplyDelete
  4. we went to Italy on our honeymoon and I have to say it was just about the best trip i could've imagined. i wanted to stay for at least another month.

    We managed to do it pretty affordably with Eurail passes and smaller, but nice hotels.

    Have you seen Mrs. Swan's blog on her trip to Bali? You should check it out. It's definitely exotic and gorgeous!
    http://www.tryanythingonceblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been to Italy already, so Bali or India! I don't think I can decide between the two. They would be such different experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only one I haven't been to is India, so bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Bali or India. We just came from Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic query! I am so with you on Bali- having lived in Roma for six months, I'd love to go back there but you couldn't say no to a free trip to an exotic location that I'd in no way be able to pay for on my own!

    ReplyDelete